e diel, 5 gusht 2007

Singing Lolly Lolly! (a re-cap!)


So yet another years music extravaganza ends for another year.
Another great time was had, dancing and much much merriment with my Lollapalooza buddies whom I meet at the 2006's (cheers Jase!) of Sarah and Tomas, and Will.
So quick recap.

Friday:
HOT HOT HOT DAY!
The longest day of the Festival weekend for me. Started with The Fratelli's at 11.30am and ending with Daft Punk who closed the show at 10pm.
Bands seen and thumbs up/thumbs down.
- The Fratellis : Good but wern't really concentrating as we just met up with S & T.
- Chin Up, Chin Up : Good sized stage for them and fun happy tunes
- Ted Leo & The Pharmacists : Didn't really pay attention...to busy being silly!
- Jack's Manequin : NICE! Fun and great tunes...played their little hearts out!
- Sparklehorse - Brought my vibe down, had some lovely melodic tunes, but I just couldn't get into it. Need to listen to them away from the Festival Grounds.
- M.I.A. : As alwasy with her, a bit of hit and miss...I was excited to see her, as was Jenny, but she sort of lost me...and I think she sort of lost it herself. But some stomping tunes!! I got a 'booty shake' in!
Insert interlude here where I spent the next 30mins helping some woman get back her mobile phone she dropped which I found. Mission accomplished and lots of drunken hugs from said woman!
- LCD Soundsystem : UNREAL! I had so much fun listening to these guys, just the fusion of rock and electronica that one needs!
- Daft Punk : What can I say....my legs are still sore from dancing like a psycho...a great set, a great light show, and of course tunes to move it to big time! I am always happy to see a line up with them on.

Saturday:
Cooler, grey and more comfortable
Two and a half highlights...
- Silverchair : Daniel, Chris and Ben, along with Paul Mac, put on a FANTASTIC performance to remind the USA on how good they really are! When the performed Ana's Song and Freak...I lost it!
- Patty Smith : Only saw half the show as we had to fly back to the other side to prepare for Muse and catch the end of Spoon, but she was great! What an amazing talent! And the crowd wanted more of her...she was truly great!
- Muse : KICK ARSE as always. Nothing more can be said for the show these guys consistently put on. Highlights: Time Is Running Out, Hysteria, Sunburn, Invincible, New Born and Super Massive Black Hole...oh, and Knights Of Cydonia which the crowd went ballistic for!
POO POO OF THE DAY:
Cold War Kids : Stage was WAY TOO small...sound was patchy, and generally LET DOWN!! And I love these guys...but you can't have your cake and eat it too!

SUNDAY :
RAIN...grey and rainy and HUMID as all hell!
- Amy Winehouse : YAY! Finally a great set by Ms Winehouse...that raspy voice, that hair...she did herself proud. And its a good things, as she just got back to the UK and was admitted to Hospital for exhaustion...whoops...did her partying at Lolla do her in??
- Paolo Nutini : Great. A bit too chilled for 3.15pm on a humid Sunday afternoon, was much more suited to the Double Door when I saw him there back in January. But still a cutie, and a great singer/songwriter!
- Kings Of Leon : HIGHLIGHT OF THE WEEKEND!!!!! I love these lads so much. Such an awesome stage presence and rocked the park...especially when Eddie Vedder decided to join them onstage for their finale. I had my 1st Loll-orgasm...and Sarah joined me! Truly great set. I was a most happy man afterward.
Modest Mouse : Great to see Johnny Marr on stage playing with them, and sounded great, however at that point I was 'spent'!
So, no Pearl Jam to close the festival, but a nice relaxing bath and the memories of Kings Of Leon...ahhhh...that will stay with me for years! K of L ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!
And then it was back to work on Monday...2007 over and out!