e mërkurë, 19 shtator 2007

Gay. (cause I don't know what else to call it!)

It's Wednesday night all is feeling quite settled. I have accomplished many things at work already lending to a very chilled end of the week. Scheduled meetings down to a most decent amount. (only two painless ones off site..however causes next week to be a biaaatch!) So it has been many, many months since I have had a truly 'gay moment'. What better way (apart from watching Caberet) than crank up Kylie Minogue's 'Showgirl Homecoming' concert. This brings me to thinking about all things Australia, all things Kylie, and subsequently all things gay! So having this time to chill at work this week, I am getting acquainted with the College and its GLBT stance. I popped over to the Wabash campus to check out the Annual Multicultural Family Reunion, where a work colleague's drag alter Sharon St James was the host. It was fun to listen to her, knowing James. But like he warned 'I can not be held accountable for anything that comes out of her mouth..EVER!' An amazing performer, and an amazing 3 hour transformation. (And looks freaking amazing in both a skirt and a kilt which he doesn't wear often enough!) I love Sharon! So a fun event went on, ethnic food stalls, dance lessons, calligraphy, a DJ and an artist painting on stage...oh, and did I mention the food???? (Wow...the cornbread was sensational!) So it actually feels nice to be a part of an Educational facility that people enjoy being at, coming to and working for. It is one of the countries most GLBT friendly schools, and being an Arts College, it would naturally be! But it got me thinking about my own homosexuality. I am an out male, have been since I was 17 (19 to my poor Mother..sorry Mum!) and have known so biologically and inherently for as long as I can remember. There has never been a heterosexual moment in my life. I am what some have been known to dub a 'pure blood'! Yet its kind of funny. I don't feel apart of a certain group of people, or even really with the gay community. Reason?? I can't answer that to tell you the truth!
I don't identify with the scene any more. Gay bars bore me and freak me out. (I know...not normal!!) I would much rather go to a pub/bar and chill then go to some meat market. I have always had a love/hate relationship with gay bars. When I was 17 and just moved to Sydney I would frequent The Oxford(Monday beers), Gilligans (EVERY Tue and Fri), The Albury (R.I.P...you are now a Puma Concept store!Oh, and Sundays before DCM), DCM (Saturdays and Sundays). Now its kind of weird for a gay male to be, but I am strictly from the 'I may be dim and gullible, but I will rip your testies off slowly in public if you grope my crotch/arse again! Unless I wanted you to (and, yeah, there were a number of them...I was young!) I have NEVER felt embarrassed, apologised for, been walked all over because of my sexuality. This I am most passionate about. Even though I do not associate myself with the gay community, I am a staunch and vocal supporter of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender rights. At Columbia, it feels great to be apart of a program running where you can offer your office or classroom as a safe haven for not only GLBT students having issues or being harassed, and needing someone to talk to, but to anyone! This little community feels great to be apart of.
Sheesh. I suppose I am just having a little ramble. Maybe the beers are going to my head. But if you needed confirmation of my sexuality, some lad explained it clearly enough at Lollapalooza. So to end...I feel the need for some more Kylie. However I think I will let LP and Miss Sara (and 9'ner!) have a moment with JT...and just a touch of Kyle's