e enjte, 1 mars 2007

Jay Kay Quits Music. ...or does he?????

Jamiroquai frontman Jay Kay has announced he is retiring from music. This is a sad sad state of affairs for one of the industry's most talented performers. Admittedly he has not always produced outstanding works, some a little patchy, but on a whole one of the most vibrant, and energetic live performers around. And a temper to match.

As reported on 1 March Undercover Music News...

"After recently parting company with Sony/BMG, the singer announced, "I don't know what to do next. He added that he was looking forward to "having kids and finding a good woman." Hopefully someone will remind him that it generally doesn't happen in that order.

"I haven't been happy there for a while," he mused. "I've had some ups and downs but in the end the downs were just too many. When we talked about me leaving, I jumped at the chance."


Yet on the same website on the 2 March, the following was reported...


Britain's 'Daily Mirror' newspaper initially reported that the singer had changed his life priorities and was looking to settle down and raise a family. "I've had some ups and downs but in the end the downs were just too many," he said. "When we talked about me leaving, I jumped at the chance."

But he has since dismissed the claims as, surprise surprise, a tabloid media beat-up.

"As usual they got it wrong for a cheap headline!" he said on the Jamiroquai website.

"All I said was that we're taking a bit of time out to get the studio refurbished and we'll be back making music in a few months time. There's no way I'm quitting the music business – now I am out of my long contract with Sony/BMG we have so many options open to us we're just going to take our time and get it right – it's just getting interesting!"

Sheesh! Talk about sensationalist reporting.

I am somewhat relieved that Jay Kay ISN'T quiting music...bloody Fleet Street Media!